What's It All About?

Hi! I am Michaela. I have loved history since I was six years old. I was reading chapter books about Abraham Lincoln by then. When I was seven I started to learn and read about more United States presidents and their lives. I became fascinated with history. In this blog I will share with you my love for history and the things we learn from the past.

Friday, September 2, 2011

A Williamsburg Tale - Part 1

It has been a crazy few weeks.  We were in the Bahamas when the hurricane Irene hit and then it took us two days to get home.  Irene hit my town and knocked out the power.  Luckily we were still away and our house had power when we returned.  Unfortunately 60% of our town is still without power and my internet/phone is not always working.  Right now the internet is working so I thought I would quickly post a historical fiction story I wrote for school.  It is long so I will be posting it over several days.

Virginia: A Williamsburg Tale
By Michaela
            Hello, I am Virginia Getty from Williamsburg, VA and I would like to tell you about the warm summer of 1774 when I was thirteen. I was just the right size for my age.  I had long golden brown hair that was put up in a bun and covered with my favorite ear cap trimmed with floral lace.  My eyes were sky blue like my mother’s but the golden brown hair was the same as my father’s.  The thing my family thought I was the most is independent.  Well the story starts like this…
           
            “Hello”, I said as my mother approached me.

            Mary Getty yelled, “Virginia Getty! Why are your petticoats muddy?”
           
            “Mother”, I said calmly.  “I spilled chocolate (which was a liquid in 1774) while I was helping out at the Charlton Coffee House.  I tried to wash it off with a wet cloth, but only a little bit came off.  Anyway, I was on my way to Kane and Co to see if they have anything I might like in stock.  I will be back before dinner.”

Just then my five year old sister Kate Getty came out of my best friend Annabella Kane’s father’s store Kane And Co.  She ripped the fife from her mouth and said, “Oh Gini, Harry Kane punched a boy and now he is not allowed out of his bedchamber unless Annabella Kane comes with him.”

I happily ran up the stairs of Kane and Co. and stumbled through the brightly colored main door.  It was early summer and the store smelled of spices and coffee.  There was already no more tea so most Loyalists did not shop there anymore. Then from the corner of my eye I saw a beautiful shiny blue fabric that was on a shelf with many other colors such as, pink, red, yellow and green. I slowly reached into my pocket and pulled out five dollars.  Then I rushed over to the fabric shelf.  I looked at the price tag my golden brown hair slipping out from under my ear cap.  It was three dollars.  I grabbed the fabric my heart racing and I screamed, “Mr. Kane!”

Mr. Kane walked out of his counting room and said “Miss Getty, how may I help you?”  I handed him the bolt of fabric and four dollars. He gave me back a dollar in change and the roll of shiny blue fabric. Then I ran out of the store carrying my purchase.

I looked at a clock that I saw in a window.  It was 5:30 pm and we ate dinner at 6:00pm but my parents liked me home by 5:45pm.  I ran to my house my shoes banging against the pebbles on the streets that soon after went flying behind me.  I finally reached my house and I ran inside. As I stumbled through the doorway I smelled chicken and noodles in broth.

After my family and I finished dinner I went upstairs into my bedchamber.  My shadow was creeping behind me as I hopped into my soft cozy bed and fell into a deep sleep.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment