What's It All About?

Hi! I am Michaela. I have loved history since I was six years old. I was reading chapter books about Abraham Lincoln by then. When I was seven I started to learn and read about more United States presidents and their lives. I became fascinated with history. In this blog I will share with you my love for history and the things we learn from the past.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Election Fever

 The first United States election took place in 1788 -1789 after the constitution was ratified.  Originally each elector cast two votes.  Whoever received votes from the most electors, became president, and the runner-up became vice-president. Basically, Washington ran unopposed.  All 69 electors cast one vote for Washington. John Adams received 34, the second most votes, becoming vice-president.

 Only ten states casted votes in this election.  There were two political parties Federalist and Anti-Federalist(who were against a strong federal government).



Vice Presidential Candidates

Federalist candidates


Anti-Federalist candidates

[edit]

No comments:

Post a Comment