What's It All About?

Hi! I am Michaela. I have loved history since I was six years old. I was reading chapter books about Abraham Lincoln by then. When I was seven I started to learn and read about more United States presidents and their lives. I became fascinated with history. In this blog I will share with you my love for history and the things we learn from the past.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Abe's Election And Presidency.

Hello! I am just so happy that it is my first full day and I already have 12 followers and 163 people that have visited my new blog.  Thank you to all of you for your support and kindness.  It means a lot.  Now to Abe.

Abe before his whiskers

While he was running for President, a girl around eleven named Grace Bedell wrote him a letter.  She told him to grow a beard. She thought it would help him win the election.  It did.  He was running against Stephen Douglas.  Abe won that election.  On March 4th 1861 he started four years of presidency. 

During the Civil War one of his most famous sayings was "A house divided against itself cannot stand."  In 1863 Abe issued the Emancipation Proclamation which abolished slavery in the United States.  Also in November 1863 he delivered a very famous speech called The Gettysburg Address at Soldier National Cemetery in Gettysburg, PA.  Gettysburg was the site of a major battle in the Civil War.  Lincoln spoke about the equality of man and a new birth of freedom.


Five days before his death

Abe ran for a second term as president and he won.   On April 14th 1865, five days after the Civil War ended Lincoln and his wife attended a play at Ford's Theatre in Washington D.C.  While they were watching the play "Our American Cousin", a crazed actor from the south that didn't like President Lincoln snuck into the presidential box after the guard left his post and shot the president in the back of his head.  Everyone thought it was part of the play but it wasn't.  A man in the crowd yelled, "The President is DEAD!"  John Wilkes Booth killed Abraham Lincoln.  Booth jumped off the box and onto the stage.  He yelled some latin words and ran out the stage door. John had broken his leg from the fall so it was hard to run.  He jumped on his horse and road off.  The men that were searching for him found him in a barn in Maryland.  They set the barn on fire but they decided to get him out. They wouldn't be any better than him if they just let him die.  Unfortunately President Lincoln died on April 15th 1865 because he was badly wounded from being shot.  He was 56 years old.  There was a big memorial for him and his body was brought back to Illinois to be buried in his home town.

Fun fact: Abe's oldest son was saved by John W. Booth's brother. Abe's son fell on the train tracks when a train was coming and Booth's brother saved him.

My next post will be about Abe's actions and what we can learn from them.  Then I will be putting up a poll with the question "Who should I post about next?".

7 comments:

  1. Micheala, this is a wonderful blog. I didn't know that fact about Abe's oldest son. Thanks for the information. Keep up the good work and the blogging. Like Dr. Seuss would say " Oh, the places you'll go". This blog may be your first of many steps to a career in history, education, or as a journalist.
    My daughter, Emily, loves history, too. She always read history books, watched National Geographic shows and any other educational show. She graduated from college in 2006 with a degree in High School Social Studies. She then taught for a year and decided to go back to college to further her education. She got her Masters Degree in Education, went to Malawi, Africa to teach for a summer and now is working on her Phd in Social Studies.
    I am going to follow you as long as you blog.
    Education is knowledge and knowledge is power.
    You should be very proud of yourself and your ability to educate us about our American History.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog and how interesting. Keep going on. Looking into history and learning from it is marvellous. Lots of success for the future. I put you on in my reader, so I can see whenever you have posted a new item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Michaela! Thank you for the extra tidbits too! I'm loving your explanation of our history!
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea! I love that you are posting about history. Keep it up!

    I was just at a restaurant on Friday night that once was a stage stop. They claim that Abe stayed there once while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is wonderful! I too developed a love of history in grade eight because of a teacher that made history so personal. We were studying British history that year. I love reading fiction that is based on real history, with all the research being completed so it is totally accurate. We here in Canada studied a lot of American history and it was fascinating. Abe Lincoln was an incredible man who gave so much of himself. I look forward to more of your blog...Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! What a wonderful idea for a blog! I shared this with a friend (who is 13) from Hungary who loves all things American. Great work and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michaela, this is a great blog! keep up the good work. I have been watching a series on PBS about the Lincolns, and when I was a young girl, one of my favorite books was about Mary Todd Lincoln. I would love to hear more about her and her influence on Mr Lincoln and her life with him.

    ReplyDelete